When Zion Lutheran Church was built in 1898, the building behind these children was also built to be its parochial school.
The picture above was taken sometime between 1898 and 1927. The boy on the front left is the grandfather of Tom Knupke and the great grandfather of Bill Knupke--both Sandusky City Schools employees. The shot is taken from the same corner as the one below. Notice in the first shot Jackson Jr. High has not been built. Close to where the front door is now located are two horses and a carriage. Is a fire hydrant in the same location?
George Feick built the two-story cut limestone building with its above-ground basement. Below is a picture of one of the four wooden attic dormers with small six-over-six windows.
In 1927 the Lutheran School was sold to the Sandusky Board of Education and became part of the new junior high school. Students had to walk outside if they needed to travel from one building to another. In the 1950's a walkway was built between the schools so students could stay out of the bad weather. Perhaps it was also to keep them from wandering away from school?